Well-maintained St. Petersburg, FL heat pumps can last for up to 20 years. Neglected heat pumps usually last a significant number of years less. Heat pumps are expensive, and you want yours to last as long as possible. The easiest way to make your Air Conditioning and Heating last for many years is to schedule heat pump maintenance regularly while doing your part between visits.
What You Should Do
- Keep Air Conditioning and Heating filters fresh. Clean filters are an essential part of heat pump maintenance. They should be replaced when dust buildup is covering the filter material. If you can’t see through the filter, it’s time for a new one. Dirty filters can cause your system to stop working and permanently damage your equipment.
- Monitor your heat pump for strange noises, foul odors and performance issues. Check the condensation drain periodically to ensure proper drainage. Water should be dripping from the condensation line that empties outside when the AC is on. Catching problems early saves you money, time and aggravation.
- Check the outdoor unit monthly to ensure that nothing is obstructing airflow or interfering with proper operation. Gently rinse off the unit with a garden hose. Cut back foliage by at least three feet, and keep the surrounding area clean and free of debris.
What Your Air Conditioning and Heating Technician Should Do
Schedule heat pump maintenance every spring and fall. Your technician will check the system for worn parts, weak links, and potential threats. The unit will be cleaned and tuned-up to increase it’s performance. Additionally, your service technician will complete the following tasks:
- Check for safety issues and ensure proper operation of controls.
- Lubricate moving parts.
- Check the refrigerant level and rule out leaks.
- Tighten electrical connections and test current and voltage on motors.
You and your Air Conditioning and Heating technician should work together as a team to ensure the ongoing and optimal health and energy-efficient performance of your heat pump. To get started, call Air Bros Air Conditioning & Heating at (813) 758-4044.